LEXLAW CILEx Legal Apprentice Scheme
Join our existing legal apprentices and become a member of our most important asset: our team.
What is a Legal Apprentice?
Legal Administration Apprentices provide administrative support to the legal teams and individual lawyers and work groups as they learn the fundamentals of providing a professional legal service.
If you are a young person in London with good GCSEs or A Levels, our new legal apprenticeship scheme offers a great alternative to studying law at university. These rare apprenticeships suit hard-working young people with a strong academic background; those committed to learning new skills and gaining legal knowledge and those holding a genuine desire to become a qualified lawyer. As a legal apprentice, you support the firm’s solicitors and barristers and follow their guidance whilst yourself training to qualify as a lawyer.
Legal apprentices need to have the confidence to deal with both individual lawyers and legal teams. You work in our Legal Support Team and need to be reliable, adaptable, conscientious, and able to work to instructions. The key tasks and duties of legal apprentices are:
Law Apprentice – Key Tasks and Duties:
- Administration of files
- To support the team and individual fee earners, with administrative tasks and action work as delegated by supervisor/partner
- Document and file management
- Archiving and retrieval of files
- Providing reception cover
- Answering phone calls and greeting clients
- Liaising with clients, including the receipt of key documents
- Liaising with Chambers and mediation venues
- Filing documents at Court where necessary
- Ensuring incoming and outgoing post is dealt with effectively
- Provide team support with data entry and renewal information
- Diarising key events and ensuring the diaries are maintained
- Conducting a daily agenda/calendar check with a partner
- Opening new application instructions accurately and within service standards
- Ensure work issues or problems are reported immediately
- Any other tasks required to support the team such as collating information
Legal Apprentice Recruitment in London
We are now seeking bright, enthusiastic and committed Londoners who would like to become qualified lawyers, firstly via the Legal Administration Apprenticeship then to obtain the CILEx legal executive qualification. The successful candidates will work within an existing legal apprentice team and be registered with CILEx as an apprentice and will provide assistance to our lawyers which will include a range of administration and office duties. The firm will pay you a salary (in excess of national apprenticeship rates) and pay for all your education and training costs while offering you long term employment in return for your commitment to our clients and our team.
The Legal Apprenticeship Scheme
LEXLAW work closely with the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx), and a London-based further education college to offer the ‘Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship in Legal Administration’ and the ‘Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Legal Services’, with the opportunity to progress onto the ‘Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship in Legal Services’.
- Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship in Legal Administration
- Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Legal Services
- Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship in Legal Services
Learning takes place mainly during employment through the development of ‘on the job’ skills. There is an ‘off the job’ training element which will take place ideally through your attending a London-based further education college or as a last resort through a distance learning provider and a monthly visit from your tutor. Both the on and off the job elements of the legal apprenticeship lead to nationally-recognised legal executive qualifications which are awarded by CILEx.
Legal Career Progression after Apprenticeship (Legal Executive, Solicitor or Barrister)
After you have completed the apprenticeship, the successful apprentices will be invited to progress onto the next level of their apprenticeship with the main goal of becoming a qualified lawyer via the CILEX legal executive qualification. From there, with the necessary further training and exams, it is possible to cross-qualify as a solicitor or barrister.
Legal Apprentice – Desired skills:
- Must have good organisational skills
- Must have good attention to detail
- Good IT skills – able to open, read, input and close, Word,
- Excel and Outlook documents
- Excellent communication skills with a professional manner
- Detail conscious and precise
- Professional telephone manner
- Previous work experience involving dealing with people is useful but not essential
- Strong academic qualifications
- Able to prioritise and recognise importance and urgency
- Proficient keyboard skills
Legal Apprentice – Personal qualities:
- Willingness, enthusiasm and ability to learn on the job
- Hardworking, eager to learn and develop new skills
- Team worker with a flexible, professional attitude
- Friendly, confident and reliable
- Enjoys detail and has a real interest in a legal career
- Dresses appropriately for a legal office
- Calm under pressure
- Conscientious and punctual
Legal Apprentice – Qualifications required:
- Minimum of 5 GCSE grades A*-C including both Maths and English (or equivalent)
- One or more A levels (or equivalent) would be an advantage
Applying for a Legal Apprentice Career
We’re based in Middle Temple in the City of London, so if you live in Greater London and have a passion for the law and have the the drive and determination to succeed in what can be a demanding and fast paced sector then we would love to hear from you. We want to see how well you can put together a covering email and CV, so once you’re ready email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch.
Page Author: Josh Burg (Legal Apprentice)
Call us on ☎ 02071830529 or email us on for more information about the legal services we provide. Our team of London lawyers are based in Middle Temple adjacent to the Royal Courts of Justice. We are committed to providing professional and specialist legal advice.