Practice Areas

Landlord and Tenant

We are a City of London Law Firm based in Middle Temple. Whether you are a landlord or a tenant, or even an estate agent, we have the legal acumen and advocacy skill with which to advise and represent you in any Landlord and Tenant dispute.


In many cases, receiving rent from the property will be the landlord’s primary concern.  The level of rent will usually be determined by agreement of the parties, although in a limited number of cases it is possible for the landlord and/or the tenant to apply to the Rent Service to have a fair or market rent assessed in respect of the property.  We will of course be happy to advise on any issues relating to Rent Service assessments.

It should also be noted that section 47 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 provides that rent cannot be charged unless the tenant has been given written notice of the landlord’s name and address.

A variety of options are open to the landlord to recover unpaid rent, including suing for the debt, insolvency proceedings, distress (although usually only for business tenancies) and eviction.  These are all fully discussed on this page.

Landlords’ obligations

Landlords have various legal obligations, which are often set out in the relevant statute.  In particular, these include obligations to keep the property in repair, to ensure that gas appliances and furniture are safe, to allow the tenant quiet enjoyment and to place the deposit in an authorised scheme within 30 days.  It is important for landlords and tenants alike to understand the scope of the landlords’ obligations, and these are discussed in more detail on this page.


Evicting somebody from their home is a very serious matter, and the law therefore has strict requirements which must be complied with.  If you attempt to evict a tenant without following the proper legal procedure, you are likely to be committing an offence under the Protection from Eviction Act 1977 and could be fined or imprisoned.  The procedure to be followed depends on the type of tenancy as well as the circumstances of the case.  In many cases, the simplest procedure is to serve a section 21 notice.  In other cases, a section 8 notice is required.  For protected tenancies, a different procedure is required and in some cases it may be necessary to give notice to quit.  The applicable requirements are discussed in more detailed on this page and our expert lawyers are on hand to give advice as to the best course in your particular circumstances.

Business tenancies

The law governing business tenancies is significantly different from that applying to residential tenancies.  See our business tenancy page for more details.


This article is for general information only and shall not be deemed to be or constitute legal advice.  We cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage suffered as a result of acts or omissions based on this article.

Free initial consultation and advice

If you have a landlord and tenant problem and need urgent help, advice or representation we are able to assist. Just call or email us now for a free initial consultation; our landlord and tenant team are waiting to help.

To contact us about your case please call us on: 0207 1830 529
Email us on:

Call us on ☎ 02071830529 or email us on for more information about the legal services we provide. Our team of London lawyers are based in Middle Temple adjacent to the Royal Courts of Justice. We are committed to providing professional and specialist legal advice.